dimanche 28 novembre 2010

Crushing Critics

In recent issues of WF there has been a great deal of praise for critics. This has surprised me because my experience has mostly been negative. I do agree with hdbzu (July )
I hate to be criticised. I know, I know as a writer I should be open to it - take it on the chin and all that. But I can’t. It hurts. It depresses me and what’s more it does not improve my writing. In fact it paralyses me so that I can’t write at all. I write short stories and used to fork out the fiver for the critique but I can’t take it so I have stopped.

So whose fault is it? I know my work isn’t perfect and could be improved. But I want kind, helpful advice that I can take on board, not a damning, destructive axe job. The most irritating and unhelpful comments are those which reveal the critics personal baggage and have nothing to do with the work.

‘How to’ books, articles and courses abound on topics like ‘How to write a novel’, ‘How to publish your book’, ‘How to write a synopsis’ and ‘How to learn to proof read’ but I have never seen one with the title ‘How to be an Effective Critic’. So can anyone tell me where do these critics spring from? What is their back ground? How old are they? What is their experience? These are all the things I want to know before I pay.

Who are the people who set themselves up to critique other writers work? Surely most readers judge a novel or a short story from the point of view of, was it well written, was it easy to read, was it enjoyable, was it a good plot, and was it an interesting story. I found that I was not even getting these basic assessments. More and more frequently the critic seemed to have personal issues or problems which resonated with the story line. For example one story which was about a mother and daughter relationship the critic said, ‘I don’t understand why daughters are horrible to good mothers’. In another story about an abused woman the comment was, ‘Why didn’t she get her self off to a women’s refuge?’

I want answers to the following questions from a critic who is qualified to make these judgments and not someone who wants to make a quick buck:

a) Is the writing of a good standard? b) Does the story line work?

c) Are the characters well drawn? e) Are the scenes well drawn?

f) Are there any howlers? g) Is the story well paced?

h) Is the dialogue realistic/appropriate?

It seems to me that some people set themselves up as writing critics without the necessary abilities. If I ever pay for a critique again I shall want to know their credentials.

So can we have an open discussion about this and perhaps some articles. And dare I say some criticism of the critics but better still recommendations with explicit reasons for the recommendation. Who are the Critics?

PS I was able to take advice from one critic and one only. She helped me to write my book. Vanda Inman www.writespace.co.uk

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire