dimanche 28 novembre 2010

Editing and Proof Reading was the Biggest Problem when I Self Published

I am Immensely Proud But Partly Ashamed of My Book. If you thought it was difficult writing the book then try self publishing.
For me the three most problematic aspects of the process were:
1) Editing
2) Proof Reading
3) Marketing/distribution
I had some experience in these areas as I was a desk top publisher for some years albeit on a very small scale. I know how difficult it is to proof one’s own writing so before I committed myself to the deal I paid for a professional edit which I thought would also cover the proof reading. I thought it would be money well spent. I received my edited book on a CD corrective programme which I found very confusing. However I persevered and went through the whole book many times accepting and refusing the corrections. I copied the final version onto a new CD, chose a publishing option and sent it off with my cheque and waited.

Whose fault was it that it took two years? Each galley I received contained errors. (A galley is an on line proof of book. No I didn’t know the term either before I began the process.) Sometimes they were my errors and sometimes the publishers.

On top of this frustration I had ongoing problems with internet access and not to mention that some correction letters went missing in the post.

I was entirely satisfied and delighted with the very first galley of the cover. In fact it was the vision of this being on sale with my work inside that kept me going.

Finally, after five edits, I received a proof copy of my actual book. Nothing compares with that initial thrill. It felt good, it looked good but, oh dear, it still contained mistakes. I took a deep breath and dived into my diminishing bank account yet again and resubmitted.

I then received six copies of the final version. I gave copies to friends. They were complimentary, that is, all except one, who was reluctant to tell me, that yes, it still contains a mistake. And no it is not buried deep in the text, it is on page one. I missed it, all my other friends missed it and most of all the editor to whom I paid a fairly large sum missed it and it is a real clanger. What shall I do?

I still have the third difficulty to deal with - promotion. The book is now on Amazon and on display in Waterstones. I feel ashamed to be advertising it but I am not sure that I can afford a resubmission.

I could run a competition and award a prize to any reader who spots the mistake. What do you think?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire