dimanche 28 novembre 2010

Why I Self Published

I was thrilled to find a proof copy of my self published book and a copy of Writers’ Forum on my return from a weeks holiday in Tunisia. The WF contained a number of articles about self publishing which were very pertinent to my experience. Firstly I had ticked all the boxes as laid out in Alison Bavistocks Quiz in WF.
I did want to get it out of the way. I had been writing and editing it for years. I dare not say how many but I have moved house 3 times and my grandchildren are now adults. It was taking up far too much of my time and head space. I wanted to at least spend more time in my garden.
I knew that it did not fit into a genre and certainly would not make mega bucks for a publisher.
I did know however that some people would be interested in my experiences of adoption, depression and caring for an elderly parent. I know this sounds dire and I hate the category Misery Memoirs that has been created. Writing it helped me to see the funny side of what can be depressing circumstances.
I am almost 70 so obviously I would not be a new talent so submitting to a publisher would just be a waste of my time and theirs.
I know something about sales distribution and promoting a book. I was a desk top publisher for a decade. I published a very small book on local history every year. I knew the sales would be limited. The clue was in the title ‘local’. I became the promoter, distributor and sales person. It was time consuming and involved much foot slogging. I only did this because the author historian was passionate about our town as was I.
I sold them mainly through newsagents on sale or return and two of the large book stores agreed to buy a few. The books sold well but we always made a loss. This was for two reasons. Local history meant that sales were limited to the locality.
The second reason astounded me and still leaves me open mouthed. This will apply to all books published even if distributed nationally. It is this.
I approached a national chain with a request that they stock it in their local store on a sale or return basis. They agreed but wanted to take 50 per cent of the sale price. This left the other 50 per cent for the writer, the publisher, the proof reader, the printer and the distributor.
So yes I know that I shall not make any money even if I get to the end of this long journey. As I said at the beginning I received a proof copy. I have already made five galley edits. This is the first proof copy and it contains some real clangers. It has taken 2 years since I first contacted the self publishers and I dare not tot up the finances.
I shall persevere. Why? Because believe me I can’t describe the thrill (and as a writer I should be able to) I felt when I held that printed copy in my hands.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire