jeudi 13 janvier 2022

Dialogue for Kidsgrove Band of Writers

  Jean:  Sorry, sorry, sorry. I am out of breath. I know I'm late. I always seem to be in a rush. I can't remember any of the rules. Can we exchange names ? I know I'm not supposed to ask why you are  here. But --- Why are you laughing?

Pierre:  You have certainly made an entrance. And there was me thinking that we would be sitting here in silence. My name is Pierre. I suppose it doesn't matter really I could say my name is Mozart.  You can tell me your name. So who are you?

Jean: Funny you should say that about names because I have several personas. I am Jean when I write and Fleure when I garden.  I did once call myself Victoria Richards.  Anyway enough about me. I suppose I am here to help you but I can't deny that there is a bit of the do-gooder about it for me.

Pierre: You have cheered me up already. 

Jean: It must be dire if I have cheered you up.  I suppose it's boring  being locked up 24 /7. Oh dear that's not an appropriate thing to say is it?

Pierre:  That's OK. I'm a musician, a composer. So getting a lot of quiet time is actually helpful. I compose in my head. I'm writing an opera about isolation so being in here is quite useful.

Jean: Can't you write something political? There are so many causes we need to fight for. Although I suppose isolation could be political. They say everything is political don't they, whoever they are, even the price of butter. I don't eat butter. Now that is political cause I'm a vegan. Sorry, I know, I know I do ramble.

Pierre:  I am a pacifist so I try to avoid all kinds of conflict.

Jean: There's the bell. Just as things were getting interesting. Sorry I was late. I'll be on time next month.

Pierre: I have enjoyed our short chat. I will looking forward to seeing you next month er Jean. Bye.

Jean: Bye Pierre See ya.

######################################################

Jean: Hello, hello, hello. How are you today? How is the writing going? Oh I could have brought some manuscript paper for you. Is that what you use to write opera ? 

Pierre: Good morning and one question at a time. Manuscript paper would be useful. 

Jean: Did you know that there was an opera written about Greenham Common? You know about Greenham Common of course? It is called The Gates of Greenham the opera that is. It isn't bad but I wish it had  been written by a woman. We sing some great songs down there. Did I tell you I go to Greenham? 

Pierre: Yes and no. Yes I do know about Greenham and no you didn't tell me that you went. What do you do there besides singing?

Jean: Oh it's great. We do all sorts of things. We cut the fence obviously and sometimes we go into the base. What is really great we meet women from all over the world. I have met women from France, Germany, Japan and Holland to name a few. The most dangerous action is cruise watch. I am too chicken to do that. 

P. I couldn't protest but I am pleased that you are doing it.

J. I go to Burton-Wood too. It's an American base, kind of storage depot, mostly underground, seven stories underground. It's near Liverpool. I have been fined for cutting the fence there but I have always chickened out of going to jail. I always get help from the peace groups to pay my fines. Anyway enough about me. Tell me more about this opera you are writing.

Pierre:  I am very interested in your life but I am sure you wouldn't be interested in life in here.  Anyway Tell me why you're a vegan?

Jean: No,no, It's so boring I am tired of explaining it to folks. Just one thing though it's not because I think we shouldn't eat animals. I don't think we should be cruel to them either but it is much more complicated than that. Perhaps I'll explain next time. I am much more interested in your composing.

Pierre: I hear music in my head all the time. When I get the chance I write it down, then when I get out of here I'll get some singers and musicians to make it real.

Jean: Isn't there any way you could have access to a piano or something?

Pierre: You are joking if they put a piano in here it would get smashed up in minutes.

Jean: Do you remember in the sixties they had piano smashing competitions? Disgraceful. Why would anyone want to smash a wonderful instrument like that?  People ay. And then recently people started putting pianos in the street with a note inviting people to have a go. Times change.

Pierre: There have always been buskers.  I think it is illegal to busk.  You have to have a licence from the council or something. 

Jean: Yes music in public places has always seemed to challenge the powers that be. I read somewhere that music was banned in Scotland years ago and people gathered in basements and played mouth music. Oops there's the bell again. Just as things were getting interesting. See you next time. Tara.

Pierre: Bye Jean.

######################################################

Jean: Still here then? Sorry that's not funny anymore is it? And I haven't brought anything. How long is left of your sentence?  Are up for parole soon ?

Pierre: As long as I don't blot my copy book, cross your fingers for me.

Pierre: So what are you up to these days?

Jean: I am not totally sure. I need to tell you that I am in court next week so depending on my sentence I may not be able to visit next month or in fact a few months.

Pierre: It will only be a fine won't it?

Jean : Not this time. I thought that my group have wasted too much time raising money for my fines. Besides this time I not only cut the fence but we went into the base. It was quite brilliant. We went in and found an unlocked  bus. Trish did something fancy with wires and started it. We went driving round the base picking up other women at other gates before we were caught.

Pierre: So does that mean you will go to prison. 

Jean: I hope so because a lot of the women who have often been in Holloway, have set up a new campaign group to try to improve the conditions. 

Pierre: Can't you campaign from outside prison?

Jean: Of course but I want to go in and talk to some of the women to find out why they are in there and what the conditions are really like ----. Oh I'm not sure it's just something I feel I have to do.

Pierre: Well if you have to, you have to. I hope the food is better in Holloway than in this dump.

Jean: Sorry about that. I could have brought you some delicious vegan food.

Pierre: That's OK. I should be out soon. The parole board meets tomorrow. 

Jean: I don't know what to say. Will you be able to let me know where you will be living when you get out.

Pierre: I am not sure. I may have to go back to France. 

Jean: Then you won't visit me in prison.

Pierre: I want to say, then we won't meet again, but that sounds a bit dramatic. 

Jean: It's sad that's what it is. I can't believe it. I want to hear your opera.  How will I hear it? Can you record it and send  a cassette to Holloway? I think I'll be there for three months.

Pierre and Jean : There's the bell. So that's it then. It really is goodbye. Goodbye. Goodbye.







Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire