lundi 30 août 2021

History

 I have been inspired to do a little research into my family and town, Kidsgrove. I have searched for the photo of my great-grandmother's shop and pub for a while and this morning I found one.

If you click on this link it should bring up the photo.


https://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=4647&PageIndex=9&SearchType=2&ThemeID=329

I scanned a photo of my grandparent's house where my mother grew up. It was in Hardings Wood, Kidsgrove next to the Blue Bell pub. It was condemned to be pulled down. At the time my mother's sister, my aunty Lizzie still lived there alone. She was a single woman who was almost blind and severely deaf. Her only pleasure in life was playing cards. Daily she found her way to the pub next door by feeling her way along the fence in front of the house. There she always found someone who would play cards with her. She liked to drink Guinness too. So, from the day the council, by the way the councillor who decreed the condemning of the house knew the situation, she cried. She cried herself to death. Of, course she was offered, new accommodation but what could she do in a strange new environment. She was almost blind and deaf.  So, the council succeeded, and the brewery got their carpark. The pub is still there today and since the construction of the carpark it has gone from strength to strength. My aunty Lizzie was a disabled old woman who didn't have long to live. They could have waited. 




I also found this photo of a man filling in the old legging tunnel.

 



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire