mardi 3 août 2021

Diaries Diaries Brazil Part ONE

 I have been looking for a quote by Dorothy Rowe. This morning I looked through some old diaries with no luck but found them all fascinating. I read a very long account of my month's sojourn in Brazil. I think it might worth writing it up on this blog. It will take some time as it is quite long but I feel it is worth doing.

As I walk past an Italian Supermarket I wonder where I am. Surrounded by skyscraper flats and hotels it could be anywhere in the world. The noise of the traffic is deafening and fatiguing. A barefooted youth passes me carrying a surf board. I spent the morning in an internet cafe. I follow the youth. Is he going to the beach? No he's not so I change direction hoping to reach the beach and a more peaceful space. I glimpse the sea and quicken my steps. I wait 5 mins to cross the road. When I reach the beach the noise of the traffic beats the sound of the crashing waves. I wish I was a surfer at least I could escape the thundering traffic.

From hunger I almost enter a McDonald's but opting instead for a restaurant. Despite not being able to speak the language except for the compulsory hello, please, thankyou and how much (very important) I manage to order chicken and chips. It took half an hour  to cook but it was delicious. I normally try to eat vegetarian but being worn out from the incessant noise I fancied comfort food. Also this country does not understand vegetarianism and prides itself in having restaurants which serve practically only meat.

Whilst eating my meal I watch a barefooted old man pass amidst the heavy traffic. He is pushing a handcart laden with rubbish. In the opposite direction pass a horse and cart driven by two young men who I suspect would have been in school in many other parts of the world. This is also full of rubbish. 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire