mercredi 27 décembre 2023

 

Languages

School Options

I enjoyed French and Latin so in the 3rd year we could choose German. The head mistress arranged a meeting for us to discuss options for the GCE's. This involved about 60 pupils queuing at the Head mistress's desk to ask questions. I did this and asked if I would be able to opt for German. My marks in French and Latin were considered sufficient so the answer was yes.

I sat down and thought about this. The alternative to German was Physics and Chemistry. I quite liked Science so I thought I would ask Miss Smith if this would be a better option for me hoping to receive some help and or advice in deciding.

" You have just asked me if you could take German. Go away and stop wasting my time."

Twinning

I am not sure how it came about but years later l went on a twinning holiday to Pezenaz on the south coast of France. It was a very enjoyable holiday and my French improved greatly. I also learned an extremely important rule when speaking French to a French person. At a reception which was held for us by the twinning association I was having a conversation which a rather nice french gentleman when he suddenly turned his back on me very abruptly and walked away muttering that I was very rude. I realised that I had addressed him as tu and not vous. I never did that again. Later when I read novels in French I discovered that even young married couples vouvoyed eachother.

I made another vaux pas when was living in Brittany. I was on a day out with the Club des Aines, Old Folks Club . We were on a boat on the river Rance and it was very cold. Everyone was wearing winter coats and hats and scarves all that is, except the president of the club. He was bareheaded and was wearing a sports jacket.

"Vous etes toujours chaud", I said. I should have said ," Vous avez toujours chaud." I had told him that he was always hot stuff and not that he was always warm.

Moscow

I was in Moscow with my ex and we were standing on the pavement asking passers-by directions to the Post Office. Some people laughed and walked away. Others asked us to repeat our question. We had looked up the words for Post Office so wondered of it was our pronunciation that was at fault. Finally someone pointed out to us that it was behind us. We were standing in front of the post office.

Portuguese

Spanish Barcelona Basque

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire