vendredi 7 juillet 2023

Spinning a Yarn The Tortoise Family

 The Tortoise Family.

 It was a small family consisting of Mother and Father and a teenager called Tommy. The  family I am about to tell you about  were very adventurous. They longed for a change as they had lived in England for a very long time. So after a family discussion it was decided that they would emigrate, emigrate to Australia.

They knew that this was a huge undertaking and that it would take them a very long time to get there. Of course the main reason it would take a long time was as you all know tortoises walk very slowly. The route that they were obliged to take was under the ocean. The family had discussed long and hard about the adventure and they decided that before embarking on this momentous journey they would need to go to a café to have a pot of tea.

Fortified by the tea they set off. They plodded on for years. Tommy complained frequently that it was taking too long but his parents jollied him along with images of the wonders of Australia and how it would all be worth it in the end. After three years Tommy complained bitterly and almost persuaded his parents that they should return to England. However his father explained that as they were half way there it would be foolish to turn back they might as well carry on with the journey. So they did.

When they arrived in Australia Mother tortoise said she was disparately in need of a cup of tea. So they found a cafe and ordered a pot of tea. Father poured out three cups and mother tortoise went to pay. 

"Oh my,oh my oh my", said Mother T. "I can't find my purse. I must have left it in the café in England. Tommy you will have to go back and get.  Please Tommy there's a good lad."

Tommy took a lot of persuading but he finally agreed on one condition. "OK, " he said, "I'll go if you promise me that you won't drink the tea till I get back."

Mother tortoise was reluctant at first but thought that it was really important to have her purse.

Tommy set off. Mother and Father thought about Tommy frequently. They realised that it was huge undertaking for the lad. They talked about him all the time.  "He'll be well on his way now," said Mother after three years. "Ay," 

"He'll be tired now", said the Father after seven years." But at least he'll be finding your purse Mother and soon be on his way back."

"I hope he won't be too tired on his return journey, " both parents frequently thought.

After 14 years the conversation went like this.

He'll be here today  - Father.

I am dying for this cuppa, but I am glad we waited cos I really need my purse.

Sure Tommy will be wanting his tea too.

The day drew on. He'll be here any minute now.

 Can't be long now it's getting late. Oh I am so thirsty.

Do think he will be here today.

I can't wait any long ", said mother lifting the cup to her lips.

"I KNEW YOU'D DO THAT SAID TOMMY APPEARING FROM BEHIND THE DOOR. SO I DIDN'T GO.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire