vendredi 7 juillet 2023

Spinning a Yarn The Moth

 The Moth

It all began on the day of my son's wedding. i received a phone call from my best friend Val. She was in tears. "What on earth is wrong," I asked. 

"You have to come." she said. "You won't believe me if you don't see for yourself." 

I went to her house in spite of the fact I was already in a panic about the wedding arrangements.

"Come in. Come upstairs you'll never believe it."

"So you keep saying what on earth is it?"

'It's your fur coat," she said. "I know I said it would be safe in my wardrobe but---"

"Has it been stolen, ? " I asked. 

"No, Look ," she said flinging open the wardrobe door."

"OK, I am looking. I can't see my coat.  I can see an empty hanger."

"Yes but look on the hanger.

Oh my God, is that a giant moth.? Not only a giant moth but a talking giant moth.

" I keep saying I'm sorry. I don't know what else I can do. It was so tasty and after the first nibble or two I couldn't stop."

"You mean you have eaten to whole damn coat?  That was for me to wear at my son's wedding."

If you can think of anything I can do to make it up to you. I'll do anything.

If you have eaten a whole coat you must be the best devourer of clothes ever. i don't suppose there are such things as moth eating competitions.

Well yes there are but I have never entered one said the moth. 

I well you are going to now. I said. Now come along with me.

So it began. There were monetary prizes for the winners. There was also a great deal of betting. My husband soon got into the whole moth eating comps after the first shock of learning what had happened to my fur coat. 

The first competitions were small, taking place first of all in villages then towns and then counties.  We were getting quite rich. There was the all England one then the European championship.

Of cause when we heard about the World Cup we became very excited. The moth was getting fed up by now as money was no use  to him and  he agreed to enter as long as we promised that it would be the last one. 

We had become very greedy too and my husband insisted as this would be the last one he mortgaged the house and put all the money on our moth to win. 

It was a three day competition. The first day was disappointing. Our moth just sat on the starting line saying he was tired but he would soon catch up. The second day was the same. No matter how much we pleaded saying that we would lose the house and all our savings.

The moth just remained on the starting line motionless. At the end of the third day  when all was lost my husband was raging and I was crying. We've lost everything. what are we going to do?

The moth looked up and fluttered a little and the he began crying really crying and balling.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire