jeudi 2 juin 2022

Inspiration

 So Manda Scott we need a new genre do we? Give me a break. First it "Misery Memoirs" then it was "Up-lift" stories. Why, why, why should my writing fit into a genre?  I suppose it is coming from the publishers and since the publishers receive more submissions than they can even read why should they determine what we should read? Dare I suggest that they tell us what is popular via their sales and that is determined by their marketing. 

 I've never been a push over. I detest being told how or what to write. I write from my soul and if that lives outside all the boxes then so be it.

Taking a step sideways this morning when reading Mslexia I realised something. I have been writing for a long time, forty years or so. I have written and self published a semi-autobiographical book, a dozen or so short stories, numerous poems, some articles and had letters to magazines and newspapers published.

I am not disabled. I haven't been in an accident. My family is fine. My witch has communicated all she can.   I am writing fewer and fewer posts on my three blogs. Does writing rely on unusual experiences? I have never been proficient at writing about make believe or fantasy. 

Here I am back to Arnold Bennet, "the interestingness of ordinariness".

Why would anyone want to read about me now, at 80, sitting in front of the TV and worrying about the state of the world politically and environmentally? I can't even go on demos, or contribute to an informative magazine like I used to. I just click like on Facebook and know I can't do more.








Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire