mardi 6 décembre 2011

Gardening v Writing


Sunbeds under lime tree
There always seems to be at least 2 activities vieing for my time. At the moment it's gardening v writing. I usually manage both in the winter. Since it doesn't get light here until 9 o'clock and I wake at 6 or 7 I can write for a couple of hours before daylight.
Recently I have lost my writing impetus and wasn't sure why.  I realised this morning that it is something to do with feedback and satisfaction.
   In the garden even if the job is cutting the grass or digging a new flower bed the reward is visible all day everyday. I can look out of the window at any time and enjoy the results of my labour. I can walk around the garden or eat outside and feel satisfied with my achievements.

Photo of garden to liven up the blog


Writing on the other hand is out of site once the laptop lid is closed. Even when I want a hard copy I have to move it from the laptop to the old computer to print. Then often the printer doesn't work like yesterday when it ran out of ink.
I can take my friends for a walk around my garden or we can eat outside or take a snack in the fresh air. When dining inside we can still admire the garden through the window. And they do admire it. People do not criticise my garden do they? At least, if they offer advise, I can accept it. Is that because they are informing me about the plants and their qualities? For example, that bush needs to be in the sunlight not shade.' That feels OK. 
However, if anything I have written is criticised then it feels as though I am being criticised not something outside of me. Is this because my writing is me.

Barn and catkins

So I am thankful that it is not on permanent display like the garden and I rarely expose myself to this pain. Therefore what a paradox when I am now infused with such a burst of energy that I feel I can write a dozen articles and finish my novel before Xmas because I have just read my letter in print.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire