vendredi 7 octobre 2022

GGF

 MY GREAT GRAN

I have watched her grow old. I remember when the used to pick us up from school. We would go via June's, a sweet shop. We were usually allowed crisps, but " no rubbish ", she would say. When we were teenagers, we, that's my sister and me lived with her for a time. In fact, my sister was at uni. and Gran drove her there and back for three terms for three years. Now she doesn't drive. Doesn't have a car because she says old people shouldn't drive. She still manages to collect my children from school and sometimes takes them on the bus to her house and lets them have fish and chips for tea because she hates cooking. I can see now that she is aging. She walks slowly and often loses her balance. Frequently she loses track of time and forgets what day it is and misses one of her classes.  She still paints and writes. The paintings are not quite as good as they used to be, but she has always taught us that the process is more important than the product. 

She is fiercely independent, and lives alone. She says she prefers it after being married for over 20 years. She had a boyfriend for many years and says she would never live with him and never marry again.



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire