samedi 9 octobre 2021

Brazil Flight from Paris

 It was easy to get to Rennes where we took a train to the airport. I can't remember whether it was Orly or Charles De Gaulle. I do remember that it was big. It was/is so big that we spent over an hour trying to find the gate that our plane was leaving from. I thought it would be easy as my travelling companion spoken French fluently. It felt like some scene from Kafka.

We went up and down in lifts. We ran along corridors. We stared at info boards and direction panels. We went up and down staircases, static ones and moving ones. We continually found ourselves back to square one.  Finally when we were an the edge and near to tears J asked a man who was driving a truck with luggage on where x was. He first attempted to describe a route and we just stood in front of him looking so depressed that he said, "OK. I shouldn't do this but I'll take you there. Climb on."

OMG you will never under stand the relief we both felt. And it wasn't a short journey. That airport is as big as a city. Anyway we made the plane. The flight was fine for me. We were given the usual kit for long flights - eye masks and head phones for the radio and TV. The could lower the seats, they were more like loungers. You could lower the back and raise the front to support your legs and feet. There was the radio at the side and a tv just in front at eye level. 

Before we took off J was moaning about how she hated long flights (she went to Brazil at least twice a year.) I was a little concerned because I didn't want  to arrive in Rio after an almost 12 hour flight having had no sleep. In the event I watch a little TV then fell fast asleep for almost the whole flight. J hardly slept at all. She tossed and turned all night tutting and groaning.

When we landed it was obvious that I was fine and she was more agitated than ever. This was the point that I realised that my companion was stressed out and very agitated and quite unhappy and not a little angry. What was worse she turned all her anger toward me. She was annoyed that I had slept and she hadn't. I was beginning to realise that this "holiday" was a mistake. The worst part was that, it was going to last a month. I tried to think positive thoughts like, "She will calm down and relax when she is with her family." 

I have no recollection how we travelled from the airport to our first host family. We may have been met; we could have taken a bus; or even a taxi.

However we arrived in Rio within walking distance of Coco-cabana beach to stay in the flat of J's eldest son, wife and two children.







Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire