jeudi 15 août 2024

Reincarnation

 

My Reincarnation as a Swallow 783

My mother had built a lovely warm nest lined with sheep's wool. When we, that is my brothers and sisters hatched out of our eggs our parents fed us lots of tasty insects which they caught on the wing. I thought that it wouldn't be easy to do this, but I would have to learn. I was one of six and I learned to fly quickly as did my brothers and sisters. One day I hopped out of the nest onto a nearby tree then I bravely flew from branch to branch then on to the next tree. After that I flew from tree to tree with my beak open and found it filled with insects. It was easier than I had it would be thought. Every night we returned to our nest to sleep.

It was a long hot summer. As the days passed I flew further away from my nest. There was always food and I found water to drink. It was a very nice life.

I noticed that groups of swallows were gathering together on the telegraph wires. I asked one of the older birds why were they doing that. He said that they were preparing to fly to Africa which was a very long way away. I asked why do they want to fly so far, why don't you stay here and explore this place.

Well he explained it's nice and warm now. Some days it is too hot. But hasn't your mother or father warned you that it will get cold infact it sometimes snows. The worse part is that the insects either die or hibernate so there will be no food. It freezes too and then there is no water to drink.

Do you have brothers and sisters.

Yes I do.

Then I suggest that you find your parents and your brothers and sisters so that you can fly with them.

They will meet with other families and you will be able to fly in a huge flock. You can't fly to africa on your own.

I thought to myself, why would I want to fly to Africa. At least not yet. It's warm and sunny and there are lots of things to eat. I will find my family and see what they are doing. I was shocked. My parents were getting ready to fly. They had gathered my brothers and sisters and told them where to meet with other swallows. They said they could stay here until the weather begins to change but they must be ready to go. When the days start to get colder you will see other swallows gathering on the telegraph wires. We will join them so that we will fly to Africa in a large flock.

Well the weather did get a little colder and there were fewer sunny days. Then one day I saw my whole family joining the flock. First my mother called to me to join them. Then my father saw my reluctance and berated me telling me of the dangers of staying. I said nothing but as I was having a lovely time eating well and always finding water I told myself that they were foolish. I ignored their cajoling and one day I watched them fly away.

How could they leave me behind. Oh well the weather is still warm. I will leave when the weather changes. It did. I began to fly south on my own and when I reached the coast I landed in a field on top of a cliff. I became afraid. Two days later I couldn't fly because it was so cold my wings became frozen. How stupid I had been. What could I do now. I thought that I would die all because of my stupidity.

I couldn't even move to a place of shelter so I put my head down and wept. Just then a cow ambled along. Lifted her tail and shat on me. How much more could I suffer. But the cow pat was warm and I fell asleep. The cow ambled away and a crust formed over me. What luck. My little cocoon kept me warm all winter. One spring day the sun shone. I felt its warmth through the crust. I felt hungry. I'll peck my way out I thought. So I pecked a hole in the crust and poked my head out. I was so happy I began to sing.

Just then a large black cat heard me pounced on me and ate me.


You should go while the going is good.“


When you're in the shit up to your neck, there's nothing left to do but sing.” Samuel Becket


When you are in the shit and you like, it keep quiet.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire